Exemption to join someone in managed isolation
You can apply through the exemptions process to enter a managed isolation facility to join a child or to support someone in isolation.
Who can apply
You can apply:
- to join a child under 18 in managed isolation or quarantine, or
- to join someone in managed isolation so you can support their health and wellbeing.
See Exemptions from managed isolation for information about other exemptions.
People entering managed isolation need to be aware of the potential for COVID-19 infection.
How to apply
We encourage you to apply you as soon as you are aware of your situation and, if possible, before flights are booked and the person leaves for New Zealand. This will allow more time for your application to be assessed.
Get the information you’ll need ready
Some basic information you will need:
- the full name of the person you’re joining – this is the name on the passport used to enter New Zealand and check into the facility
- their date of birth
- their passport number
- their arrival details – either expected or actual date and time of arrival in New Zealand and the flight number
- the city they’re arriving at and the country they left from
- their relationship to you
- the reason you wish to join this person in managed isolation
- a signed letter to show the person in isolation agrees for you to join them, where possible.
Applying to join a child under 18 in managed isolation
If you are the parent or legal guardian, you are required to provide evidence that you are the parent or legal guardian of the child you are applying to join. This may be a birth certificate or any other appropriate evidence that certifies you are the parent or legal guardian.
If you are not the parent or legal guardian, please provide an explanation of why you need to join this person in isolation. You may need to provide a signed letter from the parent or legal guardian authorising you to join the child.
Applying to support someone in managed isolation with health and wellbeing needs
You will need a letter from a health practitioner confirming that the person in isolation requires support for their health and wellbeing. Give us enough information about their condition and why they need support.
Complete an online application form
Apply online to join a person in managed isolation.
For the best experience use a modern browser like Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera or Safari.
If you need help completing the form or for any other enquiries please email IsolationExemptions@mbie.govt.nz.
What happens next
Exemptions are approved in only very limited circumstances.
Your application will be assessed. Applications are processed based on urgency and within 5–7 working days. We’ll contact you to let you know the outcome of your application, or if we need more information.
If your application is successful, you will be contacted and told what the next steps are.
If your application is unsuccessful you will be unable to join the child or other person in isolation.
The final decision is made either by the Head of Managed Isolation and Quarantine or by the MBIE Deputy Chief Executive for Managed Isolation and Quarantine.