Waivers for charges
Applications to waive charges for managed isolation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Waivers may be available in cases of undue financial hardship and other special circumstances. These special circumstances could include:
- A New Zealander entering managed isolation because they left New Zealand to accompany a person back to New Zealand who is disabled or cannot travel alone and who is not liable to pay for managed isolation
- Someone needing to travel to or from New Zealand to receive medical treatment.
- Other compassionate grounds, including when a person has travelled to visit a seriously ill or dying close relative or attend a funeral or tangihanga (whether in New Zealand or overseas).
How to apply for a fee waiver
Complete an online fees waiver application via the customer portal
Use the customer portal to apply for a fees waiver:
- click the link below to sign up to create an account, including a login and password.
- once you have logged in, fill out your fees waiver application form.
You can return to the customer portal via this page at any time to check on the status of your application or resume a draft application you have saved. Bookmark the link below for quick access to the portal to see your application.
You can also use this account to make a request on behalf of someone else.
Note: The customer portal login is different from your Managed Isolation Allocation System (MIAS) login details you use to book your voucher.
For the best experience use a modern browser like Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera or Safari.
Supporting documents for waiver form
Make sure that you attach all of your supporting documents as outlined in the fee and waiver form:
- If you are travelling to attend a funeral or tangihanga, please provide us with a copy of the death certificate, a death notice or a letter from a funeral director
- If you are travelling to visit a seriously ill or dying close relative, please provide us with a letter from doctor, hospital or hospice which states that the person is seriously ill or dying
- If you are travelling for medical treatment, please provide evidence that the medical treatment is not available where you are travelling from, and why you need to travel during the pandemic to receive the treatment
- If you are applying on grounds of undue financial hardship, you must complete the Statement of Financial Position on the Fee and Waiver form and also attach any other supporting documents which confirm your financial position such as bank statements or mortgage documents, and provide information about your reason for travel and any other relevant circumstances.
If we need more information we will contact you.
You must fill in your fee and waiver application honestly and include all necessary information requested. It is an offence to make a false statement with the intention of avoiding charges.