MIQ’s fourth voucher release via virtual lobby - 12 Oct 2021
Published: 12 October 2021
At 10am today, the fourth release of rooms through the virtual lobby took place successfully.
Statement by Associate Deputy Secretary Managed Isolation and Quarantine Andrew Milne
The lobby opened about 15 minutes before 9am today.
At 10am 22,459 people were moved into the queue — this was randomised, as part of the lobby process. This number continued to grow as people entered the queue throughout the room release (these people go to the back of the queue). There were 24,987 people in the queue in total.
Rooms started being released at 10am and were gone by 12:02pm.
5,015 people from 111 countries managed to secure MIQ vouchers – that’s across 2,927 rooms.
Approximately 38% of people who participated in the room release today were based in New Zealand. This does not necessarily mean these people were looking to travel overseas and come back – they could be booking on behalf of other people based overseas.
More than 23,000 people have secured vouchers through the last 4 room releases.
Dates for today’s release were available across November, December and January. Today’s release was more conservative than previous room releases due to the growing number of COVID-19 community cases, particularly in Auckland and Waikato. We did not release any more rooms for October and only a small number of rooms for November were released to ensure we have sufficient capacity to accommodate community cases in our facilities.
The available November rooms were gone by 10:35am; the available December rooms were gone by 12:00pm; the available January rooms were gone at 12:02pm – 1 January 2022 was the last day to go.
I want to reassure people that there are still several thousand vouchers still to be released through to the end of the year. They will get other chances through regular lobby releases. The next release will be next Tuesday – timing to be confirmed.
There is not an unlimited number of MIQ rooms and we do not release them all at once. We understand people want to enter MIQ on a date of their choosing, but we have to ensure arrivals in New Zealand occur in a safe, managed way. We have already brought over 175,000 people back to New Zealand safely and will continue to focus on the safe return of more Kiwis.
Rooms released today
November — 159
December — 1,197
January – 1,571
Top countries (by departure point)
(Note: This is people not rooms)
Australia — 986 passengers
Great Britain — 773 passengers
USA — 541 passengers
India — 475 passengers
United Arab Emirates — 211 passengers
China — 205 passengers
Canada — 146 passengers
Germany — 123 passengers
Singapore — 98 passengers
Philippines — 86 passengers
Summary of first room release (Monday 20 September)
- More than 25,000 people joined the lobby before 9am and were moved into the randomised queue.
- 31,900 entered the queue in total
- More than 5,300 people from 117 countries did manage to secure vouchers through this release -- that’s across 3,200 rooms.
- 338 rooms were released for September
- 1767 rooms were released for October
- 600 rooms were released for November
- 500 rooms were released for December
- Top countries by departure point: Australia (1352 passengers); Great Britain (774 passengers); India (460 passengers); USA (453 passengers); China (268 passengers).
Summary of second room release (Tuesday 28 September)
- 26,700 people joined the lobby before 6pm and were moved into the randomised queue.
- 31,319 entered the queue in total
- More than 6,200 people from 125 countries did manage to secure vouchers through this release -- that’s across 3,718 rooms.
- 1,434 rooms were released for October
- 1,600 rooms were released for November
- 684 rooms were released for December
- Top countries by departure point: Australia (1629 passengers); Great Britain (791 passengers); India (647 passengers); USA (495 passengers); China (263 passengers).
Summary of third room release (Tuesday 5 October)
- 25,100 people joined the lobby before 12noon and were moved into the randomised queue.
- 28,406 entered the queue in total
- More than 6,400 people from 126 countries did manage to secure vouchers through this release -- that’s across 3,739 rooms.
- 316 rooms were released for October
- 1,501 rooms were released for November
- 1,201 rooms were released for December
- 721 rooms were released for January
- Top countries by departure point: Australia (1296 passengers); Great Britain (970 passengers); USA (722 passengers); India (583 passengers); China (272 passengers).
Please note: This content will change over time and can go out of date.